Saturday, December 6, 2014

Netted Edging from Tatting and Netting - Why I Like Netting


In Tatting and Netting there are several edges named Netted Edging.  This one is found on page 115. I tried making the edge several times and eventually decided that the directions given produce the photo shown in the book.  I still can't get it to look exactly like the one in the book, even when I flip it over.







The flexibility of netting is shown in my photos of this edge. 

Both photos are of the same edging. 

 The one on the left was pulled horizontally when it was starched.  The one on the right was pulled vertically after the edge had been starched.













*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

This week I have been crocheting some doll dresses for 15" dolls. The dolls and dresses were requested by the grandchildren in the family I was selected to give Christmas present to this year.  

The pattern called for a size F hook to be used with worsted-weight yarn OR whatever size would bring the correct gauge.  I have been using a size C hook to get the proper gauge.  It also required fingering yarn.  The hook that was called for was a B.  Anyone care to guess what size I will be using to get the proper gauge?  If you guessed a size 8, you were correct.  That is so tiny I usually use crochet thread when I use that hook.  

I can't wait to get back to netting! With netting, the proper gauge is determined by the mesh stick, not by how tightly I hold my yarn or thread.

No comments: