When I saw the title of Mrs. Gaugain's book, The Knitters' Friend,in a list of books that were available online, I almost passed it by. After all, it was a knitting book and I was looking for netting patterns.
Then I happened to glance at the sub-title: being a selection of receipts for the most useful and saleable articles in knitting, netting and crochet work. I decided to look at it. When I clicked on the link, the cover read, "The People's Book" and I wondered if I was in the correct location. I decided to scroll down a bit, and the title page let me know that I was looking at the correct book.
This is the last of Mrs. Jane Gaugain's books that I have been able to find online. It was published in 1846.
Here are the netting patterns found in this book.
- Pretty Netted Flower Mat (page 15)
- Netted Mat for a Hyacinth Glass, or Round D'Oyley (page 17)
- Maltese Long Net Mitten (page 157)
- Very Pretty Grecian Net Long Purse for a Lady (page 168)
- Maltese Spotting, six stitches apart (stitch on page 170)
I've been working on the Circular Netting class. I was able to finish a couple of transcripts and I only have one video left to make. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.