Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Knitters' Friend by Mrs. Gaugain


When I saw the title of Mrs. Gaugain's book, The Knitters' Friend,in a list of books that were available online, I almost passed it by.  After all, it was a knitting book and I was looking for netting patterns.

Then I happened to glance at the sub-title: being a selection of receipts for the most useful and saleable articles in knitting, netting and crochet work.  I decided to look at it.  When I clicked on the link, the cover read, "The People's Book" and I wondered if I was in the correct location.  I decided to scroll down a bit, and the title page let me know that I was looking at the correct book.

This is the last of Mrs. Jane Gaugain's books that I have been able to find online.  It was published in 1846.

Here are the netting patterns found in this book.
  1. Pretty Netted Flower Mat (page 15)
  2. Netted Mat for a Hyacinth Glass, or Round D'Oyley (page 17)
  3. Maltese Long Net Mitten (page 157)
  4. Very Pretty Grecian Net Long Purse for a Lady (page 168)
  5. Maltese Spotting, six stitches apart (stitch on page 170)


This week I also had a chance to record my son using the mesh poi I made.  I wanted him to demonstrate how to use them.





I've been working on the Circular Netting class.  I was able to finish a couple of transcripts and I only have one video left to make.  I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.


No comments: