Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Poem 2011

 
 
Peace on Earth

There’s a face missing at the old table tonight.
There’s a smile missing from ‘round the tree.
There’s a spot in my heart that is empty right now
Due to life’s mortality.

At this time of the year I can dwell on the fact
That I’m missing a loved one who’s dear.
I can weep, wail or curse (making everything worse),
And I’ll find no Christmas cheer.

Or instead I can ponder the story again
Of the angels the night of Christ’s birth
Who sang praises to God and who promised to men
Peace to all who dwelt on earth.

Oh, the peace that I need in my heart at this time
Is the peace that can heal my own heart.
And this peace he has given to all who will ask,
For our Savior did his part.

He has opened the doors of the grave and of hell.
He has let all the captives go free.
Through his great sacrifice all my loved ones and I
Can enjoy eternity.

So this Christmas, ev’n though a dear loved one is gone,
I will focus on what is to be
And the gifts that our Father and Savior have given.
There is peace and joy for me.
 


Each year since we've been married, my husband and I have created a Christmas poem. Often the events of that year influenced the poem. Though this poem was written after the death of my mother on December 7th, we decided to use it this year since we are not the only ones who have found peace through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 

May you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
 

No comments: