Saturday, June 22, 2013

Take My Advice by The Late Editor of "The Family Friend"


According to the title page, the full title of this book, published in 1872, is given as Take My Advice: A Book for Every Home: Giving Complete and Trustworthy Information on Everything Pertaining to Daily Life: Household Management; Domestic Cookery; Brewing, Distilling; Domestic Chemistry, Medicine; Clothing; Gardening; Law; Trade and Scientific Facts; In-door and Out-door Games; Domestic Pets and Pests; Etiquette and Manners; Ladies’ Work; and Something for Everybody, Etc.  I've referred to it as Take My Advice.

The section on netting is found in "Ladies' Work" and includes the following:

  1. Netting ( page 327)
  2. Plain Netting ( page 328)
  3. Square Netting ( page 328)
  4. Round Netting ( page 328)
  5. Honeycomb Netting ( page 328)
  6. Long Twisted Stitch ( page 328)
  7. Embroidery on Netting ( page 328)
  8. Netted Neck-tie ( page 328)

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Back in 2006 some of my children started juggling.  One of my daughters took her juggling balls to school so she could practice during her lunch time.  To make it easy to transport them, I net her a bag out of parachute cord.




I actually made two different bags.  One had 100 knots; the other, 96 knots.  Recently, when I went to post the photos, I could not tell which photo was the bag with 10 rows and which was the one with 8.  To solve that problem, I decided remake the two patterns using different cords so they would not look the same.  These are the two bags.



The one on the left has 10 loops in a row and 10 rows for 100 knots.  The bag on the right has 12 loops and 8 rows for 96 knots.

Looking at them, I would not have guessed that they had just a four-knot difference between them.  The one on the right looks much smaller.  I wondered if those four knots really made a difference. 



To test my theory, I packed as many spools of thread into the bag with 100 knots (the bag on the left).

Then I took the same spools and packed them into the bag with 96 knots.  I could not close the bag as tightly this time.   You can see that there is an circular opening below and to the right of the cord-lock.

In a bag this small, four additional loops make a difference.

At least now I can tell the difference in the bags and in the photos.





No comments: