Saturday, December 8, 2018

Netting and acrylic ornaments



This year I wanted to try something new, so I ordered some 3-1/2" Round Clear Acrylic Christmas Ornament Embroidery Blank and planned to fill them with circular netting. Since the space where the doilies were to go was smaller than most of my doilies, I needed to resize some doilies. 

Several years ago I found this net doily center.  I tried it and then adjusted the size to about 5 inches. Now I needed to make it about half as small - about 2.5 inches.




By changing my mesh sticks or gauges to a smaller size, I was able to resize this doily. I had some  tatting thread someone had given me. I started with a small amount of green thread and then realized that it would not be enough to complete the project. Since I did not seem to have any more of that exact shade of green, I decided to finish the tiny doily with a golden colored thread.




My biggest question then became: "Is the doily small enough to fit in the acrylic ornament blank?"



Yes. It fit perfectly.

Here are the instructions for this tiny doily I call Balsam:

PINECONE (center)

Row 1: mesh stick: #3 kn
     Form grommet with 12 loops (last one tied by hand with CK). (12 loops in the round)

Rows 2-3:       mesh stick: #3 kn
     Net 1 knot in each loop. (12 loops in the round)

Row 4: mesh stick:1/4"
     In loop formed by CK net 7 more knots, in all other loops net 8 knots. (96 loops in the round)

Rows 5-9: mesh stick: #0 kn
     Net 1 knot in each loop. (96 loops in the round)

Row 10: mesh stick: #0 kn    
     Net 1 knot in each loop for 3 loops, * to create point net 7 loops together, net 1 knot in each loop for 9 loops*; repeat from * to *, ending with net 1 knot in each loop for 5 loops.  (60 loops in the round)

Row 11: mesh stick: #0 kn
     Net 1 knot in each loop.  (60 loops in the round)










1 comment:

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

This is gorgeous!!! Do you sell them?