Saturday, June 14, 2014

Another and Wider Net Edging from The Home Book of Pleasure and Instruction - continued


Last week I showed a second edging (and a variation) from  The Home Book of Pleasure and Instruction, by Laura Valentine and Mrs Aylmer, (published in 1867).  The net edging was called Another and Wider Edging. This week I tried another variation on this same edge.  This time, instead of having a single knot tied in the loops at the beginning and ending of the row, I net 3 knots in the first and last loops of the row.





Today I had the time to starch all three versions of this edge.



Which of the three versions do you like best?  I think I like version 2.

*          *          *          *           *           *          *          *          *          *           *          *          *

This week I net two small bags.  I am calling them Puppet Pouches since they were made to hold small knit finger puppets. The instructions were the same except for the handles.





The bag on the left has a regular, single handle.

The bag on the right has a twist in the handle that makes the entire bag a moebius bag.  That means that the entire bag has only one surface: no back or front, no inside or outside, just one surface.

If I were to place my finger on the handle and move it slowly along the handle, I would be able to go along the handle, the outside of the bag, and the inside the bag and end up where I had started without taking my finger off the bag.

It blows my mind every time I think about it.










No comments: