While looking for more magazines that had netting information, I stumbled across a wonderful website dealing with Godey's Lady's Book. Started in 1830 by Louis Godey, this magazine continued until 1896. A brief history of the magazine is located here.
I eagerly searched through the magazines from volume 1 (1830) through volume 28 (1844). There was nothing on netting. I could not find volume 19 (last half of 1839) nor volumes 29-33 (the last half of 1844 through 1846). I was disappointed.
However, what I found after that more than made up for my initial disappointment. Here is what I found from 1847-1849:
1847 (Vol. 34-35)
- page 48 Netting
- page 48 Netted Long Purse
- page 49 Handsome Long Netted Purse
- page 49 Round Netted Gentleman's Long Purse
- page 49 Round Knitting Basket
- page 49 Netted Scarf
- page 49 Round Netted Scarf
- page 49 Netted Cuffs
- page 49 Netted Cuffs
- page 49 Grecian Netting
- page 50 A Round Netted Purse
- page 50 Target Mat, with netted fringe
- page 217 Netting
- page 217 Plain Netted Gentleman's Purse
- page 217 Plain Netted Purse with a Bead Mouth
- page 217 Grecian Netting or Fillet Rose
- page 218 Single Diamond Netting
- page 218 Treble Diamond Netting
- page 218 Diamond Netting of Five Stitches
- page 218 Same Purse, Diamond Pattern
- page 99 An Elegant Netted Purse with Steel Beads
- page 99 Plain Open Netting or Filet a Baguette
- page 64 Netting - Bead Purse, Diamond Pattern
- page 186 Netted Bag
- page 186 Netted Gauntlet - Maltese Pattern
- page 186 Patterns for Mittens, Purses, etc. - Number 1
- page 187 Patterns for Mittens, Purses, etc. - Number 2
- page 187 Patterns for Mittens, Purses, etc. - For a Purse
- page 312 Card Basket, in Crochet and Netting [illustration]
- page 363 Card Basket, in Crochet and Netting
- page 53 Knitted Opera Cap with Netted Border
- page 173 Netting - Knitted Scarf for the Neck
1849 (vol. 38) I could not find Vol. 39 (July-December) online.
- page 361 Netting the Helen Cap
This week, instead of spending time netting, I spent my time searching through Godey's Lady's Book. I found many patterns for darning square and diamond mesh netting as well as instructions for fancy stitches and plenty of beautiful netting. Enjoy looking through this window to the past.
Next week I plan to list what I found between 1850 and 1859.