Saturday, October 5, 2013

Varied Occupations in String Work by Louisa Walker


Many years ago, in the days before the internet, I purchased a copy of Graded Lessons in Macrame, Knotting and Netting by Louisa Walker.  This week I received a new link from Anthony Emery for Varied Occupations in String Work by Louisa Walker.  I was surprised to learn that my copy, published in 1971, is a reprint of the digitized version which was published in 1896.

  1. Netting (page 116)
  2. Tennis Net (page 122) [miniature version for children to make and use]

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

I needed a gift bag for a baby shower, so I pulled out the pattern for a small bag. I needed to remake this bag in order to double-check the instructions.  I like giving baby shower gifts in a net bag because it gives the new mother something to hold baby bibs or anything else she wants to use it for, it saves on wrapping paper, and it introduces people to netting.


net bag with tea-towel bibs
empty net bag

    nearly invisible base of bag



This particular bag pattern has a small piece of diamond mesh for the bottom of the bag.  The sides are then formed by netting in a spiral around the edge of that piece.  It is hard to find where the sides and base of the bag meet.























No comments: