Saturday, September 21, 2013

Aunt Ellen's How-To Book on Needlework


In 1954, Workbasket published Aunt Ellen's How-To Book on Needlework.  The netting portion of that book, with the exception of the Pineapple Handkerchief Edging, can be found on-line.  While many of the same stitches found in the 1800's are found here, this booklet is one of the few places that show both methods of netting.

  1. How to Net (page 34)
  2. Method I (page 35)
  3. Method II (page 36)
  4. Helpful Information (page 37)
  5. Terms (page 37)
  6. Knot Stitch (page 37)
  7. Rose Stitch (page 37)
  8. Crisscross Stitch (page 37)
  9. Spider Stitch (page 37)
  10. Fan Stitch (page 38)
  11. Cluster Stitch (page 38)
  12. Circular Netting (page 38)
  13. Pineapple Handkerchief Edging (page 39)

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *


The first two days I demonstrated netting at the Big E, I worked on a doily that needed to be redone so I could check the instructions and also get a digitized photograph.  Here is the photograph of Jasmine.


The rest of the time I demonstrated netting this week, I worked on sun catchers.  I'll post photos of them next week.  So far I have been able to get 3 done in 4 hours.  I might just finish all I want to get made by the time the Big E ends - I have about 16 hours and 13 sun catchers left.




No comments: