Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Young Woman's Book by Mrs. Valentine


Although the netting section is only two pages long, The Young Woman's Book by Mrs. Valentine, published in 1877,  includes four stitches and three edgings.
  1. Netting (page 58)
  2. Edgings in Netting (page 59)
  3. Another and Wider Edging (page 59)
  4. Mignotte Netting (page 59)
  5. A Pretty Edging or Frill in Netting (page 59)
  6. Diamond Netting (page 59)
  7. Square Netting (page 59)
  8. Honeycomb Netting (page 59)

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

This past week a friend and fellow netter from Brazil sent me some wonderful lace photos.  When I asked her if I could post the photos here, she responded that they were not hers.  Then she included the links.

I looked and saw that the 12 photos she had e-mailed me were only the beginning.  Here are the links she sent me:
When I first started looking at the links, I thought that much of the lace was netting.  Then I noticed, with the help of translate.google.com, some of the sites were about needle lace.  I know the two laces are different in the way that they are made.  What I want to know is how to tell the difference between needle lace and netting when looking at photos or the real items.

No comments: