Saturday, August 4, 2007

Net Garden Trellis

Earlier this spring our family decided to try a new garden idea - a Square Foot Garden. Part of the Square Foot Garden concept was a 6 foot by 4 foot trellis to let plants grow upward instead of along the ground. Since I had some extra bonded cord, I decided to make my own net instead of buying it at the local gardening store. This week the plants had actually grown big enough to start using the netting.























It was rather exciting to see the beans, cucumbers and tomatoes start to climb up. Tonight I made an additional net to go on a smaller 4 foot by 4 foot metal frame behind the beans and cucumbers. There are a couple of tomato plants at that end of the box that could use some extra support.

I discovered I needed to change the directions slightly when making these square mesh rectangles from what I had on my website. These had an even number of meshes both across and down. The sample on my website had an even number across and an odd number of meshes going down.

No comments: