Saturday, June 16, 2007

Triangular Shawls

Lately I have become interested in making shawls. During my last cross country trip to visit a new grandson and his big sister (and their parents), I started netting the one described in Beetons Book of Needlework by Mrs. Isabella Beeton. I tried to figure out what size mesh sticks she had used and chose 1/4" and 3/8" flat mesh sticks. I liked the way it looked, but it was smaller than I had thought it would be.









It did fit my one of my young granddaughters though.









I love the way the border falls, especially around the bottom corner.






















Since I wanted one to fit me, I decided to try again, using larger mesh sticks. I decided to try using the 1/2" and 5/8" flat mesh sticks. I also decided to further experiment using Lyon Brand Incredible - "a ribbon yarn for knitting & crocheting". I had purchased two balls -- color: Autumn Leaves.








There were 110 yards of ribbon on each ball. My only regret was that I ran out of the ribbon and so had to finish one border row short.















A close up of the upper corner.



















I really liked the way it turned out.









Now my middle daughter has gotten me hooked on the concept of a lace shawl - a mystery stole. She even took me shopping for the yarn. Talk about an enabler. Oh well, maybe I can take the extra lace weight yarn and net another shawl.

1 comment:

Avitalp said...

It's fantastic! You might inspire me to get out my netting gauges and look at my yarns. I will probably need to make a larger shuttle, though. The tiny lace shuttles wouldn't hold much yarn.