Saturday, November 15, 2014

Netted Edge from Tatting and Netting and a Two-Color Doily


This is the third Netted Edging I have made from Tatting and Netting, by Butterick Publishing Company. The instructions for this Netted Edge, found on page 114 , did not match the photo of the edge. I decided to match the photo, rather than follow the instructions as they were written.  I eliminated the ninth row of the instructions.


The pattern called for "a bone knitting needle of medium size for the mesh" for the entire edging. I used a size 7 knitting needle as a mesh stick.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

Many years ago, while I was still in high school, I wondered how easy it would be to put two different colors on the same round of a doily.  The doily I created with this experiment I called Golden Ray.

           

I soon discovered that it was time-consuming to change netting needles every time I wanted to change colors.  I had to tie two extra knots - one where the color changed to white and one where it changed back to yellow.  Not only did that take extra time, but I also noticed, when I took this photo, that those knots also came untied more easily than the regular netted knots.

Eventually I wondered how it would look in just one color.  At that time I did not have a digital camera so I made a copy on a photocopier.  That copy could not show the entire circle, just a rectangular section.  Now that I have a digital camera, I re-made Golden Ray in a single color.



No comments: