Saturday, August 23, 2014

Netted Fringe from Tatting and Netting


The first of several Netted Fringe patterns is found on page 109 of Tatting and Netting, by Butterick Publishing Company (published in 1895).

The stitch used was referred to as double netting.  To create the heading, the netting is made in rows, with a row of single crochet made into the first row of netting.  Then a row of netting is made by going into the crochet.  Finally a single-crochet border is made along the top row.

Once the heading is finished, the piece of netting is done in rows.   The rows are made in such a way that a tube of netting is formed. What looks like rows of large and small diamonds is created by laying the front and back of the tube of netting on top of each other.





I thought it would be harder to make, but I found the directions understandable once I started.  I did have a problem getting it to starch so it looked the way it did in the photo in the book.  I wonder if I could make the stitch without the heading.  



No comments: