Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Ladies' Knitting and Netting Book – second series (2nd ed) by Miss Watts


Miss Watts must have been very busy in 1840.  She published the 5th edition of The ladies' knitting and netting book – first series, which was discussed last week, and the 2nd edition of The ladies' knitting and netting book – second seriesI would love to see the first edition of both of those books, but they are not available on-line.

There are over twice as many entries for netting in her second series as there were in her first series. While some of the patterns may be the same, many are not.
  1. Netted Gloves (page 3)
  2. Plain Open Mittens (page 8)
  3. Another Plain Mitten (page 10)
  4. Annet Mittens (page 11)
  5. Honey-comb Mittens (page 13)
  6. Matrimony Mittens (page 15)
  7. Lambs'-wool Mittens (page 15)
  8. Mitten in Round Netting (page 17)
  9. Netted Cuffs (page 22)
  10. Netted Mat (page 30)
  11. Netted Bag (page 40)
  12. Netted Fringe (page 41)
  13. Striped Purse (page 44)
  14. Chequered Purse (page 45)
  15. Purse in Round Netting (page 45)
  16. Matrimony - For a Purse (page 46)
  17. Another (page 46)
  18. Annet Purse (page 47)
  19. Honey-comb Purse (page 48)
  20. Another Honey-comb (page 48)
  21. Netted Purse - in two colors (page 49)
  22. Single Diamond Netting (page 49)
  23. Treble Diamond Netting (page 50)
  24. Bead Netting (page 57)
  25. Bead Netting - with the bead on the knot (page 58)
  26. Netted Scarf (page 76)
  27. Cephaline (to be worn in the head on leaving heated rooms) (page 84)
  28. Netted Curtain (page 103)
  29. Netted Lace (page 106)
  30. Puff Netting (page 107)
  31. A Cool Night-cap (page 107)
  32. Netting Mesh Sizing (page 122) 
I have no idea what the term "Annet" means.  In both cases, the pattern using "Annet" in its name follows a pattern with "Another" in its title.  As for "Cephaline," I'll accept her explanation and assume it's some kind of head covering. 

  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In January of 2011, I started thinking about a netting class that would teach increases and decreases.  One of the first things to do when preparing for a new class is to figure out what patterns I will use for the class.  I decided to use the Lantern Stitch since it has both increases and decreases.  After making a dishcloth using that stitch, I started making what I thought would be a quick shawl.

I soon decided it was not a quick pattern and was therefore unsuitable for my class.  I didn't entirely quit working on the Lantern Stitch Shawl; it just went on the back burner (for those times that I didn't have anything else to net).



 
Recently I finished it.  Today I took a couple of photos of the back of the shawl.  







While making the shawl, I discovered this stitch stretches more from side to side than from top to bottom.  If I were making it again, I would not start with 358 knots in the netting chain.  This rectangular shawl is about 2 yards long.








    No comments: