Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Ladies' Knitting and Netting Book – first series by Miss Watts


Miss Watts, the author of The Ladies' Knitting and Netting Book – first series, wrote or compiled several knitting and netting books.  This book was published in 1840.

Included in this book are netting instructions for mittens, purses, curtains, scarves, a baby's cap, a shawl, some stitches, and some patterns.

It was interesting to see that what she calls a pattern is different from what I call a pattern.  To me a pattern is usually a set of instructions that tell how many stitches to start with and what to do for each row, such as a pattern for a sweater or a shrug.  They lead me through the creation of a project step by step.

Her "patterns" tell what to do for each row, but they do not tell how many stitches to start with or even what size mesh stick to use.  She leaves that up to the person making the pattern.  They could make a large curtain or tablecloth, a small purse, or something in between.

She also includes some of what I would call a pattern, although she does not always tell the exact size mesh stick to use.
  1. Netted Mittens (page 19)
  2. A Net Purse in Points (page 44)
  3. Corkscrew Netting for a Purse (page 44)
  4. Netted Curtain (page 72)
  5. Pattern of a Net Scarf (page 73)
  6. Another Scarf (page 73)
  7. Table Diamond Netting (page 74)
  8. Single Diamond Netting (page 75)
  9. Tuft Netting (page 75)
  10. Netted Baby's Cap (page 110)
  11. Double Netting for a Mitten (page 120)
  12. Patterns for D'Oyleys, Basket, or Fish Napkins, and Purses - No. 1 (page 122)
  13. Patterns for D'Oyleys, Basket, or Fish Napkins, and Purses - No. 2 (page 123)
  14. Patterns for D'Oyleys, Basket, or Fish Napkins, and Purses - No. 3 (page 123)
  15. Netted Lamb's-wool Shawl or Handkerchief (page 124)

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  

It is very frustrating to have to cut off large amounts of netting when there is no way to fudge around a mistake.  Today I learned I can use that netting to decorate.  


I made a lacy votive candle holder.

I took some netting I removed from a doily when I had not found the mistake early enough to untie it.  I cut a piece big enough to put around a clear, glass votive candle holder.  

After that I applied some Mod Podge to the outside of the glass.

While it was still sticky I pressed the netting onto the glass.

Once it was in place I brushed more Mod Podge over the netting.

Then I just needed to let it dry.

The Mod Podge dries clear with just a hint of frosted glass and the tiny candle at the bottom shines through the lace.



P. S.  Does anyone know anything about Miss Watts except for the books she created?





No comments: