Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Work-Table Magazine or Church and Decorative Needlework (vol 1) by Mrs. Mee and Miss Austin


Last week I entered a list of net items contained in Mee's Companion to the Worktable.  Because of that, I thought this week I should look into what was in The Work-Table Magazine or Church and Decorative Needlework (vol 1).  This book is by Mrs. Mee and Miss Austin.  The copy that is online was published in 1847.


  1. Doily (page 19)
  2. Diamond Netting (page 24)
  3. Grecian stitch open (page 33)
  4. Curtains, in stripes of small and large diamonds (page 39)
  5. Purse - simple and elegant pattern (page 46)
  6. Purse, with beads (page 57)
  7. Mat (page 64)
  8. Shawl - novel and exquisite pattern (page 73)
  9. Chair cover (page 123)
  10. Necktie (page 133)


This week I finished the last three bookmarks for my circular netting class.  I used tatting thread for these samples, but I could have also used size 30 crochet thread.

When I showed my bookmarks to some friends, I was surprised to learn that they would not use them for bookmarks.  I was told they were too fancy.  Do you agree?



This bookmark has the small tier circle at the top.  The length is done in English Netting or Honeycomb Stitch.

I could have ended in a point, but I decided to use up the last of the thread with a tassel instead.

I love the cubes that are formed.




This bookmark uses the small circle Web at the top.

The length of the bookmark is the same one used earlier for the bookmark Magic.  It combines the Plain Stitch and the Beet Stitch and ends in a point.

I could have put a tassel on this bookmark, but chose not to do so (I had enough thread left to make another one).



This bookmark uses the small circle Well at the top.  It combines the Plain Stitch and the Shield Stitch to create the length.



Here also I could have ended with a point, but again I chose to use up the thread with a tassel.

No comments: