Saturday, February 21, 2015

Platter Doily with Netted Border from Tatting and Netting


This Platter Doily with Netted Border from page 122-123 of Tatting and Netting has some net embroidery, also called Lacis, created in each point.  I did not add that to my samples.

Because the instructions did not matching the accompanying photo and I did not realize when making this edge non-circular I would need to make the first point with one less loop in its first row, I had to make this edge more than once.

The first time I decided to make the edge to match the photo, but I did not realized that I needed 12 not 13 loops in the first point I made.  That meant that there were 6 loops that stuck out on the left side of each point and 7 that stuck out on the right side of the point.  (I made each point look the same.) Because of that this sample does not match the photo in the book.




The second time I followed the instructions for the top section of the edge and made the proper adjustment for the points.




The third time I "read" the pattern instructions off the photo, just like I used to do when copying my grandmother's instructions.




This time the sample looks like the one photo in the book, except I did not attach the netting to a piece of cloth and I did not add the net embroidery to the points.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *


This month I finished the bag for a new granddaughter.  The base began as a square of diamond-mesh netting.







The body of the bag is done in spiral netting.

The handle is a triangular tied handle with fringe.

Using variegated yarn made the bag very colorful




No comments: