Saturday, October 11, 2014

Netted Border, With Fringe from Tatting and Netting


While I tried to follow the directions for Netted Border, With Fringe found on page 112 of Tatting and Netting, by Butterick Publishing Company, I'm still not sure exactly what I was supposed to do to make the Puff . 

The instructions said "then tie in the regular way, except that you do not put the thread over the mesh and into the next loop, but around the 9 loops, or between the cluster and the last single loop."  This sounds like the knot would be on the top of the cluster.  There is a knot at the top and the bottom of the clusters; however, there is no instruction as to how to fasten the bottom of the cluster in the next row.  That just states, "Plain, with the quarter-inch mesh" and then continues on to the following row. There is no mention as to what to do with the bottoms of the 9 loops. 

This time I tied the knot through the 9 loops by moving the netting needle through the loops while they were still on the mesh stick and tying the knot at the bottom.

 
  


It looks close to the photo in the book, but not quite right where the puffs are. If I were to do it again (and I probably will), I think I will tie the knot around the top of the cluster and then on the next row I will net all the cluster together in one knot.

No comments: