Saturday, November 9, 2013

Netting in Magazines - Modern Priscilla


"Netting Outlives the Centuries," an article found in the December, 1920, issue of Modern Priscilla, includes some netting patterns common to colonial America.

  1. Boston Tester (page 14)
  2. Dancing Girls Coverlet Border (page 14)
  3. Wrap Yarn Border (page 14)
  4. Moonshine and Matrimony (page 14)
  5. Pincushion Cover (page 28)
According to The Free Dictionary and Dictionary.com, a tester is "a canopy, as over a bed or pulpit."  The borders in this article are created with tassels of thread tied to the netting.  


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *     

I wanted to make a net star about 6" in diameter.  Today, with some helpful suggestions from the women in the knitting group I attend and some mathematical guidance from my son, I came up with this. It measures three inches from the center to the end of a point.  Since it looks so plain, I decided to name it Plain Star.








I already have ideas for others.  Next time, maybe I'll make something not so plain.


No comments: