Saturday, April 21, 2012

Net Miser Purse

A few weeks ago I received an e-mail in which the writer expressed a desire to learn to net to make a net purse like those from Jane Austen's era.    I had not considered making a net purse, but after looking at several websites, they began to intrigue me.

In fact, I went so far as to order one from Trinity Antiques (they still have two left: a green one and a blue one).  After all, it is easier for me to figure out a pattern when the article is in my hand.  It arrived this morning.  It appears to be made from end to end rather than around.  Now I have one more project to add to my collection. 















In the course of my searching for Regency period net purses, I found a couple of links filled with information.


A couple of pages from Candice Hern - one on Miser Purses and one on Georgian Knitted and Netted Sovreign Purses

An article, The Reticule, A Regency Handbag, which gives background information on what a reticule is.

If you get tired waiting for me to finish this project, you could look at the instructions for netted purses in  The lady's assistant for executing useful and fancy designs in knitting, netting, and crochet work by Mrs. Gaugain (Jane) on Google Books. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What was used to net a purse? A crochet hook?