Saturday, November 19, 2011

Differences in Netting Methods



There are several methods used to tie the netting knot.  Lately I've been referring to two of them as the lace-maker's method and the net-maker's method.

Most of the time when I think of the differences between the two methods, I think of how they are tied.  There are also differences in how the knots look after they are tied.  This week I learned another way they are different.






I received an e-mail asking me if there was a way to create the Carrots Increase Stitch using the net-maker's method so that it looked like it does in the photo.









I was not sure, so I made a sample of this stitch using each method and I discovered a difference.  Can you see the difference?  The red sample was made using the lace-maker's method and the blue one made using the net-maker's method.




 Look closely where the increases are made.  In the red sample the 3 knots net into the loop follow the curve of the loop, while in the blue sample the 3 knots climb up the loop.  The knots in the red sample are tied around the single strand of cord forming the loop.  The knots in the blue sample are tied over both strands that form the loop.  Since the knots in the blue sample are tied around the loop, the loop actually gets smaller.























So, when it comes to the question in the email, my answer is that it is not possible to get the same look to the Carrots Increase Stitch using the net-maker's method as you would get if you used the lace-maker's method.  If you want the same look as the first photo in this post, you would have to tie the knots using the lace-maker's method.

Now I'll be the first to acknowledge that I don't know everything about netting, especially when it comes to the net-maker's method.  I received personalized, one-on-one teaching from my grandmother when I learned the lace-maker's method, but I learned the net-maker's method from a book.

So my question, to those of you who are more proficient and experienced in netting using the net-maker's method, is:  "Do you agree with me?"   If you do not, please tell or show us how to get the same look.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Nice post, Rita. Te pictures make such a difference!

Rita said...

Thank you, Mary. Feedback is great. It's nice to know that they are useful. I hope they clarify what I'm trying to say.