Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Art of Netting by S. F. Every


This is not The Art of Netting by Jules and Kaethe Kliot but one written much earlier.  The Art of Netting; with the Method of Making and Mending Fishing Nets by Simon Frederick Every  Esq. deals with making nets of all types.  It was published in 1845.  Additional digitized copies can be located here.

Since I do not fish or trap, I was going to ignore this book.  Then I started looking at the introduction.  The  illustrations of netting tools caught my eye, there were some I had not seen before, and I began to read.  In chapter 2 he describes a method of netting that seems to be a cross between the two other methods I have tried.  He claims to have reached speeds of 1,300 to 1,750 knots per hour.  That is much faster than I can go.

Most of this book is devoted to different types of nets that can be made.


  1. Introduction (page 5)
  2. Holding the mesh and making the knot (page 11)
  3. The Drag-net (page 15)
  4. Trammel-net (page 23)
  5. Cast-net (page 32)
  6. Drop-net (page 34)
  7. Cleach-net (page 35)
  8. The Flew (page 36)
  9. Hand-nets (page 37)
  10. The Hoop, or Drum-net (page 38)
  11. Eel-net (page 40)
  12. Mending Nets (page 46)
  13. Sea Nets (page 50)
*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

I have been going back through the patterns I have designed over the years.  Most of them are computerized, but I did not always list how much yarn or thread I used for a pattern.  With that in mind, I decided that I needed to make some of the patterns again.  

I chose to make a small bag I can use as a gift bag. It's made from the top down, handle first.











The bottom of the bag has a pentagon-shaped decrease, which ends in a tiny grommet.




























No comments: